It’s officially summer!! I know, because we fired up our grill on Mother’s Day and once you start to BBQ, then it’s officially summer (this is a FACT). Technically in California you can BBQ all year long, but in December it just doesn’t FEEL right.
One of my favorite things to enjoy on a hot summer day is a good margarita! They are delightfully refreshing. This is what inspired me to make these:
Margarita Pudding Cups are a delicious way to enjoy the flavors of a margarita! A pretzel bottom provides a salty contrast to the sweet (and boozy) margarita pudding.
In creating this recipe, I drew a lot of inspiration from recipes for margarita pies I kept seeing on Pinterest. My husband and I were having another couple over to play Settlement (have you ever played this board game? OMG AMAZING!) and planned to serve tostadas. I wanted a margarita flavored dessert, but I didn’t want to use ice cream. Well, why not replace vanilla ice cream with vanilla pudding?? And thus, Margarita Pudding Cups were born!
Our friends brought over some homemade pineapple coconut ice cream which we served with the pudding cups and it was delicious! Looking back, I should have made a rum sauce to drizzle over the top and then we would have had piña colada ice cream!! I may have a slight obsession with turning alcoholic drinks into dessert form…
Mine were pretty strong (a little tequila goes a long way), so I suggest adding the alcohol a little at a time until you get the margarita taste you like. My husband and I tend to double the tequila in our margaritas since we like them strong, so I was a little heavy-handed.
Margarita Pudding Cups
Makes 8 pudding cups
- 1 3.4oz package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk (I used non-fat but any kind of milk will work)
- Zest from one lime
- ¼ cup tequila (use less if desired)
- 2 tbsp Triple Sec
- 1 container Cool Whip (thawed)
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- Mix the crushed pretzels with the sugar and butter. Press about ⅛ cup into the bottom of 8 small cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk the instant pudding with the milk. The pudding should be very thick. Mix in the lime zest, tequila, and triple sec.
- Fold the cool whip into the pudding mixture until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the 8 cups.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.